Job Opening – Digital Storytelling Intern – Part-Time
Variety the Children’s Charity of St. Louis (Variety) empowers children with physical and developmental disabilities to engage in their world as fully as possible. Variety is seeking a paid, part-time digital storytelling intern for the spring 2022 semester (approx. 15 weeks). The successful candidate will be passionate about the Variety mission of making the impossible possible; helping build a world where children’s abilities are redefined, and possibilities are reimagined.
This intern will assist the Communications Team with the creation and implementation of cross-channel digital communications plans, including drafting and scheduling social media posts, email campaigns, blogs, website content, ads, and more. They will also be responsible for researching and implementing new digital tactics as well as developing reports for both social media and email results. As time allows, they may also create content for additional mediums, including – but not limited to – direct mail pieces and video scripts.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Assist with strategic planning for digital communications efforts (social media, email, website, etc.) to include timelines and other department needs.
- Assist with the production of timely and relevant content (visual and written) for Variety’s website, blog, social media channels and email campaigns.
- Research and develop digital tactics (i.e., Instagram Reels) to reach audiences in new ways.
- Evaluation of social media and email campaign results reported to Sr. Communications Manager.
- Collaborate with Data Systems Manager to keep email campaign database updated and properly segmented and tagged.
- Assist Sr. Communications Manager with development of additional content needs (direct mail pieces, newsletters, etc.) as needed.
- Completed or working towards a bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or public relations (or a similar field)
- Relevant (communications, public relations, or similar field) experience – may be internship, student-run agency, or volunteer
- Experience with AP Style
- Experience developing written and visual content for various digital platforms, including social media, website, blog, email (classroom experience acceptable)
- Knowledge in cross-channel communications planning
- Competent in Word and Excel
- Junior or Senior in college, graduate student, or recent graduate preferred
- Non-profit experience
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
- Experience with WordPress CMS
- Working knowledge of MailChimp (or similar)
- Experience with digital ads, i.e., paid social media ads and Google Ads
A successful candidate will have/be:
- Innovative and solution-focused
- Effective and persuasive communication (written and oral)
- Organizational skills and attention to detail
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Manage multiple projects at one time
- Ability to work accurately and meet deadlines
- Able to work with different team members
- High energy and a passion for Variety’s mission
- This role will be part-time (approx. 16 hours/week) and will take place on-site during regular working hours, Monday – Friday. Scheduling can be flexible based on availability. Compensation will be contingent on experience.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Senior Communications Manager Kara Schmid at Kara@VarietySTL.org
Per Variety’s policy, we require employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to accommodation. If you are hired, we will require that you prove that you have received the COVID-19 vaccine or have a valid medical or religious reason not to be vaccinated.
Variety the Children’s Charity of St. Louis is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Variety welcomes difference in the form of gender, race, ethnicity, disability, geography, socioeconomic status, age, politics, religion, philosophy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and veteran status. All applicants who share this goal are encouraged to apply.
All applicants who share this goal are encouraged to apply.